It’s so incredibly satisfying to throw back the two layers of thick fabric after the heavy roller has pressed paper to inked plate, peel the thick, damp paper sloooowly off the plate and find… an image!
That’s not actually a good representation of the print itself which is much more pleasing than that speckled result would suggest.
And here’s the small test plate (made to work out the optimum exposure time for the light-sensitive film on the plate and the length of its subsequent bath in weak acid) together with the test print.
I made three prints off the large plate of which the first was the most successful. The other two were made far too hastily because of the limited time. There is a profound and unhurried pleasure in applying the extremely viscous ink to the plate and then removing the excess carefully with scrim and newspaper. Try to rush, though, and the impatience can be seen in the end result.
I think next Saturday I am going to aim to get one more image etched to plate even if I don’t manage to print it. I’m very keen to try to take part in the hypnosis research project (mainly, it has to be said, because of the possibility of going on to have a brain scan with the associated image that would produce) but the last chance is next Saturday afternoon. My father is looking after the children so I don’t have to hurtle back.
Also I have just discovered that there is an amazing looking facility, the londonprintstudio, where I might be able to make more prints off any plates I have etched later on. Or indeed make more plates. And it’s on my side of London!
(My fingernails are ineradicably black with ink. I love it!)